The use of Pure Sounds is essential for blending sounds together to read. Visit the Video Resource Centre to hear our pupils saying the Set 1 and Set 2 sounds they have learned in RWI.
At Walkley we believe that your child's love for reading and writing will unlock the gateway to their successful future. Therefore, we are committed to delivering the very best provision and opportunities for quality reading and writing.
'Read Write Inc.' (RWI), is an Ofsted recommended and highly acclaimed literacy programme which teaches children the 'Simple View of Reading', how letters and sounds in English are related (the alphabetic code). The children rapidly learn sounds and the letter or groups of letters they need to represent those sounds.
Children read well-written, lively phonic books which are closely matched to children's increasing knowledge of phonics and 'tricky' words, so that they always experience plenty of success. Repeated readings of the texts support their increasingly fluent decoding. Children also develop the skills for comprehension through discussion of each story, helping them to both understand what they are reading and to build up their knowledge of how texts are structured.
To teach children to:
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts.
- Apply the skill of blending phonemes in order to read words (FRED TALK).
- Read high frequency words that do not conform to regular phonic patterns.
- Read texts that are within their phonic capabilities as early as possible.
- Decode texts effortlessly so all their resources can be used to comprehend what they read.
- Segment words into their constituent phonemes in order to spell words (FRED FINGERS).
- Learn that blending and segmenting words are reversible processes.
- Spell effortlessly so that all their resources can be directed towards composing their writing.
- Share their love for reading with parents and become avid readers.