Hi everyone! It’s Mr Rist here! I am going to be setting the Literacy work for Home Learning over the next weeks.
Our first task is to create a non – chronological report about an invented animal. A report is a non – fiction text that describes something very clearly.
Are you in the imagination zone? Close your eyes and transport yourself to the Congo. The world famous explorer, Sir Quentin Smithers has journeyed into the heart of the Congo Rainforest, in Africa. Using the knowledge of local tribes people he has discovered a new animal.
Your first task is to create a name and draw a labelled picture for his animal. Try to add as much description as you can. This will make your report writing much easier!
1.With the name you can either use your imagination or create a name from 2 existing animals.
2. If using your amazing imagination, there are no limits.
3. If you are struggling for ideas, take 2 animals such as a tiger and lion, combine letters from both names to create tigon.
4. Once you have created a name, can you do a labelled drawing including all the features of your chosen animal. Click on the file below to see my amazing example.
5. Remember to put commas in between 2 adjectives
6. I have included a word mat to help with vocabulary. Also, you could use a thesaurus to up level your adjectives or google synonyms for some of the vocabulary. I would love to see some of your amazing pictures!
This weeks SPAG is noun phrases – which basically means just using adjectives to describe a 'thing' (noun). Read through the powerpoint to help you understand what a noun phrase is.
With the SPAG tasks, they start off easy and get gradually more challenging. See if you can push yourself to complete all the activities!
Tuesday , 23rd June
I hope you enjoyed drawing your invented creature yesterday. I am looking forward to seeing some of your amazing work. Eventually, we are going to be writing a non - chronological report. which is a factual report that explains something very clearly.
I know that our creature is not real, but we are still going to write as a factual report.
Today, we are focusing on the features of non - chronolological reports. Below are a list of these features ; please read them carefully.
Wednesday, 24th June
Hi everyone. We are now at the planning stage of the report. Look at the plan that I have created for the Tigon. Can you create your own plan for your invented animal on the planning template provided?
Task 1 - Introduction
First, look at my brief introduction, then write your own
Read paragraph 2 ( Appearance) of my report. I have created a story map ( which is below) and acted it out on the video. Your second task is split into 3 parts:
As I am the kindest teacher in town, I will give you until Monday to complete these tasks.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing your work!